Monday, May 2, 2011

Just Say Yes

As a fan of improvisational comedy and general havoc-causing antics, I was surprised that I had not heard of The Yes Men before this class. The film was more thought-provoking than well produced. I felt like key moments were missing from the film and some of the uninteresting segments were drawn out too long. These holes in the film had the effect of making me more curious about the group.

I was left wondering how these men make a living when they put so much effort into their absurd work. Most of all, I was left with a profound respect for these guys who devote their lives to something that they couldn't explain to anyone easily. I imagine them telling their mom's that they were going to a conference in Australia, not as a real presenter, but an imposter seeking to illuminate the hypocrisies of the WTO.

They might have a hard time convincing others that their work is essential, but it really is important. The world needs people that don't play by the rules and use this rule breaking to spread a message.

I'm reminded of the internet use of the word "trolling", urban dictionary, if you would:

"Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value."

The Yes Men are the real-life equivalent of a troll. Their actions aren't meant to be taken as the truth by everyone, in the documentary they expressed the desire to get a rise out of their audience, and their disappointment when they did not.

For our found footage assignment I wanted to use clips that would cause an emotional backlash. In the same way as The Yes Men, who use a context that should be mundane, a business conference, I used a soothing announcer until the film's firry conclusion. The clips at the end contradict what the view is expecting, the soundtrack speeds up, but the clips slow down. I took from The Yes Men their knack for making the usual unusual. I was inspired by this to create something that could not exist without contradictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment