Sunday, April 24, 2011

2fort2furious

Is there anything more communal than a fort? NO. There isn't. Forts have protected mankind for centuries so there's that. Making a fort is something that kids do with blankets nowadays. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve stacking chairs and blankets on rainy days just to chill.

Making a fort in class brought back these memories and I could tell it did the same for many others. There was a communal nostalgia that spread. Making the fort was a bit less chill than in the old days, some taking charge, time limit, some guy with a clipboard observing(?)etc., but the end result was fantastic.

A fort to end all forts that everyone in the class could fit under. Watching our films on a sheet gave the whole thing a hipper feel and the laughs were even more contagious in such a small area.

Being a rough theater, I expected adding food would make the whole affair a bit messier, but everyone remained civil. Food always seems to be tastier when eaten in a class setting and this was no exception. Little Ceasars was actually very delectable. The real winner on the food front was the buffalo chicken dip I was sitting in front of the projector so I had to do this awkward sit/lay thing and I was afraid I would end up in the lap of one of the folks sitting behind me.

We made a 3D short ourselves, Mr. Cameron eat your heart out. It was easier than I expected.

I think it'd be cool to make an old-school 3D horror movie and really turn up the camp. It'd be a great gimmick at festivals, passing out glasses and all. It's cool that a normal projector can still produce such a profound three-dimensional effect.

The 48 hour films were great. I loved seeing everyone tackle the same thing "my secret" from different angles. There were some really impressive moments and many of the films I would not have guessed would have been made in such a short timespan with such technique limitations.

The output of the class gets more and more creative as we go along. I think this is because everyone is getting used to the format of a one minute film, and everyone is bouncing ideas off one another as we press to see just how far we can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment