Monday, May 9, 2011

6 bye 1

This class has been a one of a kind experience and hard to predict. I came in knowing we would complete some projects in goofy ways, but I didn't realize how much I would learn from each project and how much fun I would have.

That's the key to this class, the main criteria to judge a film doesn't have to be it's technical or narrative accomplishments. A film can be judged by its innovativeness and spirit. This class was sort of an antithesis to my 495 narrative class and it was enlightening to be experiencing both viewpoints at opposite ends of the week.

So without further a do, here is a list of every project that may or may not be in the order of which I enjoyed least to most.

G. Cameraless Filmmaking

I learned a lot from this assignment that I could definitely apply to films of all styles in the future. However, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to get messy and not knowing how the film would turn out before it was projected was frustrating.

*. 48-hour Video Race

It is an odd thing to say, but I wish I had had more time to devote to the video race. That weekend was jam packed with filming my 495 and other assignments so I was really only able to devote about 8 hours to the race. It would have been cool to really hit the grindstone and work on the race for a longer period of time. I was happy with the result as it stands though.

.59. Found Footage

This assignment was a whole lot of fun. The result wasn't quite what I had set out to do, but I couldn't find enough footage to make my more ambitious plan a reality. The project was a lesson in improvisation because I had to work with the footage that was available and went to great lengths to attain silly clips.

0101. Stop Motion

This assignment was the most loose planning-wise. We brought our media in and went straight to work without much talking. We never really knew what exactly was going to happen over the next few frames and the film turned out very dreamlike as a result. I was impressed with Sheena and Jon's

™. Rhythmic Edit

I was amazed at how well this turned out with the shaky footage I shot. When editing so quickly the individual shots stopped mattering so much and I was able to create something great out of what I considered to be sub par footage.

:). The Long Take
This was the best class I've ever had on a Saturday. I had so much fun with the group plotting and rehearsing our complex long take. Editing the film with Ian was fun. We didn't have to cut, only worry about the sounds. It was neat work.

TL;DR 6x1 was super fun, made new friends, learned new film techniques that are fun and applicable

No comments:

Post a Comment