Monday, March 21, 2011

Video Race

I am pumped for the video race. I can’t wait to film things and video things  on a film or
video camera with a big group of people over a long period of time, and know exactly which
prop will be the focus of the film long in advance.

 Wait, what?

Okay, I could see working on a film solo, I’ve done that before and being lonely lends a
certain meditative vibe to the work. I can feel ya’ on the whole “do it in 48-hours thing”.
Time is money, and of the essence, and on my side and so on.

 I also understand everyone having to incorporate the same prop. The honor system might
work for checking out groceries but someone would definitely start early if we didn’t have
a bottle of duck sauce/stuffed wombat/high-five machine to keep us all in line. Plus, it
will be fun to see what the other filmmakers do with the same prop.

But what exactly is this gobbledygook about “creating films/videos without a film or video camera”? Doesn’t that defy what film and video is? How can you make something without the thing that makes that something? I can’t make a pizza without an oven! Okay, I did it once- in middle school with the power of the SUN.

Perhaps I could make my movie out of the sun! The sun would be too bright for a film, let alone the contingencies of harvesting a star, and I will not sacrifice my eyesight in order to realize my vision and an “A”.

So I guess I’ll go the old fashion route- scanners, cell phones, webcams, one of these things, throw in some stop-motion and flash animation for good measure. I think the more media I can use the more interesting the film will be. Finding out the prop will probably inspire me as to the narrative or lack thereof and which medium will work best for which section.

No comments:

Post a Comment